Autumn Pork and Pears
Looking for a perfect autumn meal, that is simple to make and packed with flavour? Well our Pork and Pear recipe is such a simple recipe that packs a punch in the flavour department. Its such a great meal for the family, especially on those perfect autumn days or nights!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 2 to 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, root end intact, split into eighths
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 large rosemary sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 3/4- to 1-inch thick, or 170 to 225 grams each
- 4 large pears, cored and halved 3/4 cup pear or apple cider 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 220°C. In a large bowl, mix the potatoes and onions with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 whole garlic cloves, and the leaves from 1 rosemary sprig. Arrange the veggies in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast 20-30 minutes until potatoes are lightly browned and tender when poked with a fork.
- While the vegetables are roasting, thinly slice the remaining 3 garlic cloves. In a large cast iron or heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil, sliced garlic, and 4 rosemary sprigs. Cook until the garlic is lightly golden and the oil absorbs the garlic/rosemary flavours. Remove the garlic slices and discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Return the skillet to high heat and add the seasoned chops. Cook 1-2 minutes per side until nicely browned. Add the halved pears, lower the heat, and continue cooking until the pears are tender and chops are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the chops and pears, reserving 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Pour the cider into the pan and simmer until reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits. Add the stock and reduce again by half. Stir in butter until melted and season with salt and pepper. Return the pear halves to the pan.
- To serve, place a chop next to roasted potatoes and onions on each of four plates. Top chops with pan sauce and pear halves. Garnish with rosemary leaves if desired.