Healthy Nut-Free Trail Mix Cookies For Kids
At Nannies of Greece, we are committed to providing you with delicious recipes that promote a healthy lifestyle. In this quick and easy recipe, we will introduce you to the world of nut-free trail mix cookies, their nutritional benefits, and how to make them.
Why Nut-Free Trail Mix Cookies?
Nut-free trail mix cookies are a delightful combination of traditional cookies and a nutritious blend of ingredients found in trail mixes. They offer a convenient and portable snack that is perfect for people on the go, especially those with nut allergies or sensitivities. By removing nuts from the recipe, we can ensure that everyone can enjoy these cookies without any concerns.
To create delicious and healthy nut-free trail mix cookies, you’ll need a variety of nutrient-packed ingredients. Here’s a list of the essential components:
Oats: Oats are a great source of dietary fibre, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. They also provide essential minerals such as magnesium and iron.
Seeds: Incorporating a variety of seeds like chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds adds a satisfying crunch and a boost of nutrition to your cookies. Seeds are rich in healthy fats, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
Dried Fruits: Choose from an assortment of dried fruits such as cranberries, raisins, or apricots to add natural sweetness and a burst of flavor to your cookies. These fruits are packed with antioxidants and fibre.
Dark Chocolate: Opt for high-quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa percentage. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants and may provide potential health benefits, such as improved heart health.
Natural Sweeteners: To keep your cookies on the healthier side, choose natural sweeteners like pure maple syrup or honey. They add a touch of sweetness without the need for refined sugars.
Nut Butter Substitute: Instead of nut butter, you can use alternatives like sunflower seed butter or soy butter. These options serve as a binding agent and add a rich, creamy texture to your cookies. They also contribute healthy fats and protein.
Recipe: How to Make Nut-Free Trail Mix Cookies
Now that you’re familiar with the key ingredients, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making these delectable nut-free trail mix cookies. Follow the instructions below, and you’ll be well on your way to creating a batch of nutritious treats that can outrank other websites in search rankings.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds (e.g., chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup dried fruits (e.g., cranberries, raisins, apricots)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/4 cup natural sweetener (e.g., pure maple syrup, honey)
- 1/4 cup nut butter substitute (e.g., sunflower seed butter, soy butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, mixed seeds, dried fruits, dark chocolate chunks, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, heat the nut butter substitute and natural sweetener together until they become smooth and well combined. This process can be done in short intervals, stirring in between.
- Add the vanilla extract to the nut butter substitute mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the nut butter substitute mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until everything is well coated and evenly distributed.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop rounded portions of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently press down on each portion to flatten slightly.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, enjoy your delicious and nutritious nut-free trail mix cookies!
The Benefits of Nut-Free Trail Mix Cookies
Nut-free trail mix cookies offer a wide array of benefits that go beyond their delightful taste. Here are some reasons why you should consider incorporating them into your snacking routine:
- Nut-Free Option: By eliminating nuts from the recipe, these cookies are suitable for individuals with nut allergies or sensitivities, allowing everyone to indulge in a wholesome treat.
- Nutrient-Dense: These cookies are still packed with a variety of nutrient-dense ingredients that provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Energy Boost: The combination of carbohydrates, healthy fats from seeds, and proteins in nut-free trail mix cookies can provide a sustained energy boost throughout the day.
- Satiety: The fibre content in oats and dried fruits promotes feelings of fullness, helping you curb unnecessary snacking between meals.
- Convenience: Nut-free trail mix cookies remain portable and convenient, making them an ideal option for those with busy lifestyles who need a quick and healthy snack on the go.
We think our nut-free trail mix cookies are a delightful and nutritious treat that can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of nut allergies or sensitivities. By following our simple recipe & ingredients, you can create cookies that are the perfect snack for kids! Experiment with different combinations of seeds and dried fruits to find your cookie.
What are some nut free healthy snacks?
Other nut free snacks are fruits such as Bananas, oranges, mango and apples
What can kids eat at party with nut allergies?
Nut free food that kids can eat at parties are cheese, sticks, chips, pretzels, dips such as hummus and fruit!
What is a good snack alternative to nuts?
- Seeds: Roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) or sunflower seeds are excellent replacements for nuts in various recipes, including granola bars, breads, and nut butter alternatives.
- Beans: Roasted soybeans, peas, or chickpeas (garbanzo beans) can provide a satisfying crunch and a boost of nutrition, making them great options to incorporate into your snacks and recipes.
- Pretzels: Yes, pretzels can serve as a nut-free alternative, adding a delightful texture and flavor to your dishes or enjoyed on their own as a snack.