Homemade Berry Pie!
When I mistakenly keep berries past their prime and they appear shrivelled and aged, they still can be used and taste very delicious in a pie. Nothing beats a homemade pie compared to store bought pie. The flavours are so much better when homemade. Plus, you can add whatever berry you like to your pie!
- 400 grams refrigerated pre-made pie crusts, softened as package directs
- 150 grams sugar
- 25 grams cornflour
- 15 grams quick-cook tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 450 grams fresh blackberries
- 300 grams fresh raspberries
- 300 grams fresh blueberries
- 15 ml milk
- 5 grams sugar
- Pie pan
- Lattice pie cutter
- Heat oven to 230°C. Follow package instructions to prepare two-crust pie using a 23 cm glass pie pan.
- In a large bowl, combine 150 grams sugar, cornflour, tapioca and salt. Gently mix in berries. Allow to stand 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture into pie crust-lined pan. To create lattice top, cut second crust into 1.25 cm strips. Lay strips in criss-cross pattern over filling. Trim and seal edges. Brush dough with milk and sprinkle with 5 grams sugar.
- Place pie on middle oven rack and put a large baking sheet on rack below to catch any spills. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 190°C. Cover pie crust edge with foil strips to prevent over-browning.
- Bake about 40-45 more minutes until crust is golden and filling bubbles.
- Allow to stand 2 hours before serving.
There you have it, quick, easy and delicious homemade pie!