Making fun Multi Coloured lace cards
Babysitting and nannying give me chances to do creative activities with kids. Doing art projects with kids is one of my favourite parts of babysitting and nannying. Rainbows make for an especially fun theme that kids of all ages enjoy.
What you need
- Cardboard – to cut the rainbow shape out of
- Pencil – for tracing the rainbow shape
- Craft knife – for cutting out the rainbow
- Scissors – for cutting out the rainbow
- Hole punch – for making lacing holes
- Yarn in rainbow colours – for lacing
- Plastic needles – for lacing the yarn
What to do
- On a piece of cardboard, trace or draw the shape of a rainbow.
- Use an X-Acto knife or scissors to carefully cut out the rainbow shape.
- With a pencil, lightly draw lines to divide the rainbow into color sections.
- Use a hole punch to make holes along the pencil lines for lacing.
- Have the child thread colored yarn into a plastic needle and lace their rainbow by stitching the yarn through the holes.
Reading together is central to being a nanny, so we have selected some wonderful picture books about rainbows to share during the project: “A Rainbow of My Own” about a boy’s quest to find the end of a rainbow; “How the Crayons Saved the Rainbow” telling how brave crayons brought colour back; “Rainbow and You” exploring the science behind these meteorological wonders; and “Rainbows (Nature’s Light Show)” a nonfiction look at how rainbows form and shimmer.
This is a great way to not only have the children working with arts and crafts but also learning about the very thing they are making!
Let their imagination shine through!
How are rainbows made
When sunlight hits a rain droplet, some of the light is reflected. The electromagnetic spectrum is made of light with many different wavelengths, and each is reflected at a different angle. Thus, spectrum is separated, producing a rainbow.
Why are rainbows double?
Rainbows are formed when sunlight is reflected twice within a raindrop with the violet light that reaches the observers eye coming from the higher raindrops
What are the colours of the rainbow
The colours of the rainbow are: Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet